Sunday, April 24, 2016

Greene Family Farm - Roof Tin Done

After a couple weeks of no progress, I found some time this weekend to really move the barn forward.  First, the awning was built out to support the tin and serve as a starting point of roofing.

As you can see, the animal pens have yet to be finished, but now at least all of the roofing sections are now fully prepared to take on the tin.

Below is a photo of the completed awning.  It so happened that the width of the roof sections is evenly divisible by the width of a piece of tin.  There was only a little 'stretching' needed for the upper full sections, but overall it really worked out well.  The glue I used can be seen at the right of the frame by the way.

Here is a close-up of the glue.  It is Gorilla Glue Gel and it is the first time I've used it.  In other tin-roof projects I have used regular Gorilla Glue and I must say that this gel variant really works well.  It gets 'tacky' much more quickly than its regular counterpart and sets up strong soon thereafter.  I remember the regular Gorilla Glue taking longer to set up and be more of a binary thing - either wet and not sticky at all or rock solid and immobile.  It was nice take advantage of the few seconds adjustment time that the gel offers.

Hopefully it is equally as strong in the long term, but I guess only time will tell.  So far it is looking quite promising.

It took about an entire bottle of glue to finish the roof.  I think it was about $3 at Wal-Mart so not a terrible cost to complete a fairly large roof.

The photo to the right is the peak section of the roof.  

Here you can see my little friends - the clips.  I found them in a Home Depot several years ago and while the little grips have been torn up a bit by stray blobs of glue, they are still an invaluable tool to do roofing.  The limited height of each roof section really lent itself well to the size of the clamp.  All three of these are working together to hold down the top, middle, and bottom of the section of tin.  

As soon as I get the glue applied for the next piece and put the tin down, the glue had set up enough to just move the clamps down the line.  

All sections of this side of the barn have been roofed.  The peak of the loft access still needs some work, but otherwise is ready to go.

 Here it is again at an angle.

I guess I was in the groove and didn't bother to take any other in-progress photos of the other side.  Here are a few photos of the entire roof complete.  

So far the barn is shaping up fairly nicely.  While not an exact replica of the actual tin sheets used, I think what I came up with captures the spirit of the architectural element.

A bit more wood-work for the pens, doors, and ladder for the loft access and it will be ready to paint.  I'll also need to do some level of ground cover before painting the ground-floor wood, but it should be fairly straight forward as I plan to use the trusty ol' Sculpt-A-Mold...  Until next time!

Oh, one more thing to add - my estimate of tin needed was only off by 12.  I'm glad I had enough as I wasn't really looking forward to going back to the tin mill. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment