Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Portable Generator

The radio needed some power so I created this portable generator.  I'm not sure where I came up with the design...  The goal was to have a diesel operated unit with a hinged lid on one side to allow for easy maintenance.  I thought I needed an exhaust pipe, but the result looked like either a big grill/smoker or a barn with silo (as one of my good friends pointed out). ;)  In any case, I found some reference photos and none of them had pronounced exhaust pipes so off it went!

This was my second go at the hairspray method described in the Tables post.  This time I used an airbrush to spray on the hairspray.  Unfortunately the added control over how much got sprayed left me with a layer of hairspray that was too thin resulting it a very difficult process to get the top layer scraped off when the time came.

Here are some WIP photos:
Except for the tires which I scavenged from an airplane model I built with 'gear up', this piece is scratch built from polystyrene sheets, rods, and tube.
 Undercoat of rust colors before sealing:
 The 'Communist star' was painted using a stencil I cut from paper and sprayed over with an airbrush. (Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Communist Party and included it only for game flavor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment